Re: jed, edt and keydefs

Hi John,

Thanks for the solution of the graphics line drawing problem.
It's simple and works just fine!

I have not yet tried your work around for the GOLD key function,
but I would like to hear what you think about have some other
way of handling the GOLD keys in the code?
On windows there is a simple numlock key that one can use, but on
Linux and x-windows this is not possible. Therefore I would like
to have a public variable that I can set in jed.rc. Would you
see this as a possibility ?

Regards,
         Thei.

P.S. Guenter, I will come back (soon) on your comments on keydefs.sl.
I am sure we can agree on most things and I can modify edt.sl accordingly.

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, John E. Davis wrote:

Thei Wijnen <t.wijnen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Concerning the Show Key function:
I have redefined the GOLD key to be Key_Num_7 and when I want to
see which function is bound to GOLD-A I get:
Key "ESC O w" runs the S-Lang function " . '\e' 'O' 'P'
ungetkey ungetkey ungetkey".
So I only get to see what Key_Num_7 does... I can not see any of
the GOLD functions. Feature or bug ?  :)

The showkey function shows what a single key does.  In this case, the
GOLD key performs an action all by it self: it pushes "\eOP" onto the
input stream.  That is, it maps the key you have defined to be GOLD to
the GOLD key found on a vtxxx terminal.

You might try binding

  define showkey_gold ()
  {
     ungetkey ('P');
     ungetkey ('O');
     ungetkey ('\e');
     showkey ();
  }
to some key.  When prompted by "Show Key", press only the key to be
modified by the GOLD key--- not the GOLD key prefix.

For the graphic or simple line drawing menus: I usually work
on a Windows PC and have a ssh-terminal connected to a Linux host.
I do not know how to change settings in Teraterm or F-secure or
on the Linux host system to get it right. That's why I would like
to change it in my jed.rc -- it seems much simpler.

You can use

  Simulate_Graphic_Chars = 1;

to achieve this.  You may want to set this to a value that depends
upon the terminal, e.g.,

  Simulate_Graphic_Chars = ("xterm" != getenv ("TERM"));