Re: jed, edt and keydefs

Hi Guenter,

In changed menu.sl to undo the defintions of all F1...F10
to do "select_menu_bar". I want to bind F1-F10 to something
usefull, like e.g. the bindings I used to have in VMS-EDT.
The other thing that I wanted to point out is that the problem
of redefiniton worked without complains on Windows, where it
does not work on Linux.

I still want the menubar at the top, because it handy for
infrequently used functions. By the way, it would be nice if
I could -via jed.rc- set the linedrawing method. I have trouble
with the ssh clients (like teraterm) that do not handle the
esc-sequences for line drawing correctly. Doing the line drawing
with simple ascii characters would resolve that. The Linux
version always uses graphics (esc. sequences) for line drawing.

On the GOLD key I should point out that all functions and definitions
work perfectly. It is just that the "Show Key" function that is defined
in help.sl can not correctly tell my new  GOLD by its name GOLD
because that is something that the JED executable should do.
That is why I asked for a change in the C-source code and a couple
of public variables in jed.rc to give laptop users their alternate
choices for a GOLD key.

         Thei.

| T.A.M. Wijnen                 www.hef.ru.nl/                       |
| Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen                                      |
+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+----+

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, G. Milde wrote:

On 17.01.06, Thei Wijnen wrote:

"Incosistent key definition". This happened in edt.sl at the
point where GOLD keys are being defined for special EDT functions.
I never had problems with this using JED on Windows.
The problem appeared to be in menus.sl in the section where
shortcuts are defined for the menubar. Since I do not use them
and doubt anyone does, and because I never saw problems in windows,
I disabled them using a conditional:
  "#ifdef UNIX_do_we_need_this %?"

Could disabling (outcommenting) of enable_menu_keys() be an easier cure? At
least, if I start Jed with `xjed -n -e edt` I do not get an error here on
my Debian system with xjed B0.99.17-135 from the experimental sections xjed
package.

I have a request that concerns the handling of the GOLD key.
The numlock is really troublesome on linux and xterminals.
Therefore I chose the nearby Keypad_7 key to act as GOLD which
is much easier then the "far away" and "two hands" F1 key.
However when I execute the "show key" function, it will not
always return something link "GOLD a" runs the internal
function..., but "ESC O w a" runs the internal function...

You could try with the "hyper-" help mode from
http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/hyperhelp/ which gives feedback on most defined
key variables (but fails with key-combinations involving Key_*).

On modern LAPTOP computers it is also hard to find a suitable
GOLD key because many laptops have different keyboards.

I see you already have defined key combinations as Key_Gold+Key_Num_PF2 etc.

What happens if you re-define Key_Gold to be any other keystring as e.g

 Key_Gold = Key_F1;

or

 Key_Gold = Key_Num_7;  % Key_Gold = Key_KP_7; % in my notation

?

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de