{Filename?} jed, edt and keydefs

Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
Warning: (jed-edt-users.zip, KEYBOARD.CNF).
Warning: Please read the "JTAN-Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

Hi JED users,

Some time ago I started using jed on linux (I am using jed on windows
for a very long time) and I first configured and compiled slang 2.0.4
and jed 0.99.17.135. All that went just fine (great!) and I could
start jed without problems. However when I wanted to use my favourite
EDT mode with the GOLD keys I got an error message:
"Incosistent key definition". This happened in edt.sl at the
point where GOLD keys are being defined for special EDT functions.
I never had problems with this using JED on Windows.
The problem appeared to be in menus.sl in the section where
shortcuts are defined for the menubar. Since I do not use them
and doubt anyone does, and because I never saw problems in windows,
I disabled them using a conditional:
  "#ifdef UNIX_do_we_need_this %?"

Then I could also change edt.sl to have all key functions defined
using the symbolic names from keydefs.sl. I also added a few
things like scrolling near the screen border.
Now my edt mode works fine and - since I use symbolic keydefinitions
in keydefs.sl - works the same on both Windows and Linux.  Great!

Then I also changed wmark.sl (symbolic key names) and added a file called
edtgoldk.sl in which I define special "private" GOLD-key sequences.

I enclose the files in the attached zipfile and hope you find them
worthwhile for the next release. I included:
keydefs.sl, edt.sl, wmark.sl, menus.sl, tabs.sl, and the "private"
files jed-thei.rc and edtgoldk.sl for reference.
For running teraterm on a windows machine and connecting to a
linux host, it is good to have the enclosed KEYBOARD.CNF to define
VT100/220 escape sequences.

-o-o-o-o-

I have a request that concerns the handling of the GOLD key.
The numlock is really troublesome on linux and xterminals.
Therefore I chose the nearby Keypad_7 key to act as GOLD which
is much easier then the "far away" and "two hands" F1 key.
However when I execute the "show key" function, it will not
always return something link "GOLD a" runs the internal
function..., but "ESC O w a" runs the internal function...
On modern LAPTOP computers it is also hard to find a suitable
GOLD key because many laptops have different keyboards.

Therefore I would really like to have a couple of public variables
(strings) that can be set in jed.rc, which define a couple of strings
that act as GOLD key defintion. E.g. 3 or 4 alternatives would be nice!
These should be handled by the executable to represent the GOLD key.
This is a C source code change, not a change in the SLANG files.

Of course then keydefs.sl will have to be changed, but that is
a low price to pay once the GOLD key_strings are all handled like
a single "GOLD" key. What do you think about this?

Best regards,
              Thei Wijnen.

+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+----+
This is a message from the JTAN E-Mail Virus Protection Service

The original e-mail attachment "jed-edt-users.zip"
is on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and has been
replaced by this warning message at Tue Jan 17 17:12:05 2006

The reason the virus scanner gave for quarantine was
the following:

   MailScanner: SpeedDials are very dangerous in email (KEYBOARD.CNF)

= = =

If you wish to receive a copy of the possibly *dangerous* attachment,
follow the link below with your web browser.

 http://mail.jtan.com/quarantine/20060117/k0HMBumN018385/

--
The JTAN Virus Scanner