Re: jed, edt and keydefs

Hi,

Indeed the setting of F11 for the menubar may be a matter of
personal taste. But the point remains that on Linux, with the
original menu.sl and edt.sl, I can not bind the GOLD key to a key
different from F1 (e.g. Key_Num_7) and then bind F1 to a different
function. After removing the binding in menu.sl it works.
So there is a problem with overwriting keybindings on Linux, and it
does not exist on Windows.

Concerning the Show Key function:
I have redefined the GOLD key to be Key_Num_7 and when I want to
see which function is bound to GOLD-A I get:
Key "ESC O w" runs the S-Lang function " . '\e' 'O' 'P'
ungetkey ungetkey ungetkey".
So I only get to see what Key_Num_7 does... I can not see any of
the GOLD functions. Feature or bug ?  :)

For the graphic or simple line drawing menus: I usually work
on a Windows PC and have a ssh-terminal connected to a Linux host.
I do not know how to change settings in Teraterm or F-secure or
on the Linux host system to get it right. That's why I would like
to change it in my jed.rc -- it seems much simpler.

         Thei.

| T.A.M. Wijnen                 www.hef.ru.nl/                       |
+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+----+

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, G. Milde wrote:

Hi Thei,

On 18.01.06, Thei Wijnen wrote:

In changed menu.sl [menus.sl, GM] to undo the defintions of all F1...F10 to
do "select_menu_bar". I want to bind F1-F10 to something usefull, like e.g.
the bindings I used to have in VMS-EDT.

While these bindings might be useless, they do not really harm. There should
be no problem overwriting them in either an emulation mode or your
jed.rc (both loaded after menus.sl).

+menu_set_menu_bar_prefix ($1, "F11 key ==> "); %%ThW.
+setkey ("select_menubar", Key_F11);     % turn on menubar

This is IMO a personal choice and should be set (overriding the menus.sl
default) in jed.rc (or an emulation). This way, updating will not overwrite
your changes. BTW, cua.sl uses menu_set_menu_bar_prefix ("Global", " ");
to prevent visual clutter.

enable_menu_keys ()
-------------------

While this function might be rewritten more nicely using keydefs.sl, it
doesnot need to be modified (at least IMO). If you do not like the menu
bindings coded here to override your key-settings, do not call it in jed.rc
or ~/.jedrc.

Remember that jed by default uses the distributed jed.rc template (including
a call to enable_menu_keys() if there is no personal .jedrc or jed.rc file
found.

I still want the menubar at the top, because it is handy for
infrequently used functions.

This is controlled by enable_top_status_line(); (and active by default).

enable_menu_keys() does only set a predefined set of keybindings to the menu
entries. You can safely replace it with your own fixes in jed.rc.

By the way, it would be nice if I could -via jed.rc- set the linedrawing
method. I have trouble with the ssh clients (like teraterm) that do not
handle the esc-sequences for line drawing correctly. Doing the line drawing
with simple ascii characters would resolve that. The Linux version always
uses graphics (esc. sequences) for line drawing.

I suppose this is controlled by the TERM setting. On my Debian system, jed
on a konsole or rxvt uses graphics while xjed uses ascii chars.

The other thing that I wanted to point out is that the problem of
redefiniton worked without complains on Windows, where it does not work on
Linux.

However, I am not able to help here, unless you are more specific
about the problems encountered.

On the GOLD key I should point out that all functions and definitions
work perfectly. It is just that the "Show Key" function that is defined
in help.sl can not correctly tell my new  GOLD by its name GOLD
because that is something that the JED executable should do.
That is why I asked for a change in the C-source code and a couple
of public variables in jed.rc to give laptop users their alternate
choices for a GOLD key.

While it would be nice to see GOLD in the output of showkey, I think this is
more a feature wish than a bug. After all, you will probabely know which key
(or key-combination) you pressed.

And IMO it is not worth introducing a couple of public variables.

OTOH, there is no need to change the c source, as the variable LASTKEY
records the string that corresponds to the last recognized key code(s)

There version of expand_keystring() in my help browser already does a generic
"reverse engineering" of the Key_* variable (instead of the hard-coded
special cases in the default version). This currently does not work
for bindings like Key_F1+KeyF2 but could be amended it the need is great.

Guenter

--
Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de