Re: jed, edt and keydefs

On 17.01.06, Thei Wijnen wrote:

> "Incosistent key definition". This happened in edt.sl at the
> point where GOLD keys are being defined for special EDT functions.
> I never had problems with this using JED on Windows.
> The problem appeared to be in menus.sl in the section where
> shortcuts are defined for the menubar. Since I do not use them
> and doubt anyone does, and because I never saw problems in windows,
> I disabled them using a conditional:
>   "#ifdef UNIX_do_we_need_this %?"

Could disabling (outcommenting) of enable_menu_keys() be an easier cure? At
least, if I start Jed with `xjed -n -e edt` I do not get an error here on
my Debian system with xjed B0.99.17-135 from the experimental sections xjed
package.

> I have a request that concerns the handling of the GOLD key.
> The numlock is really troublesome on linux and xterminals.
> Therefore I chose the nearby Keypad_7 key to act as GOLD which
> is much easier then the "far away" and "two hands" F1 key.
> However when I execute the "show key" function, it will not
> always return something link "GOLD a" runs the internal
> function..., but "ESC O w a" runs the internal function...

You could try with the "hyper-" help mode from
http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/hyperhelp/ which gives feedback on most defined
key variables (but fails with key-combinations involving Key_*).

> On modern LAPTOP computers it is also hard to find a suitable
> GOLD key because many laptops have different keyboards.

I see you already have defined key combinations as Key_Gold+Key_Num_PF2 etc.

What happens if you re-define Key_Gold to be any other keystring as e.g

  Key_Gold = Key_F1;

or

  Key_Gold = Key_Num_7;  % Key_Gold = Key_KP_7; % in my notation

?

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de