Re: Proposed new addition to Jed...

On 18.01.06, John E. Davis wrote:
> Morten Bo Johansen <mbj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >However, you can not cheat the read_with_completion () function to skip
> >the minibuffer prompt and just pop up the completions window, can you?
>
> I am not sure what you mean.  Do you mean this?
>    ungetkey ('\t');

I think so.

> If you want to skip the prompt altogether, then why call
> read_with_completion?

Because working with a thesaurus is somewhat similar to looking for a file --
you want to make a choice from a list of alternatives.

read_with_completion() offers a "transient" buffer, that does close itself
automatically once you have choosen a word from the list.

> It would be better to write the possible completions to a buffer and then
> use the pop2buf function.

This is what my dict-ui mode does (indirectly), as it uses popup_buffer
(from jedmodes.sf.net/mode/bufutils) for the transient buffer. So maybe this
is the better approach for the thesaurus and I should include Mortens
formatting into my version.

Guenter

--
Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de