Re: Proposed new addition to Jed...

Good evening, Dave...

On Thursday 12 January 2006 08:28 am, Dave Kuhlman wrote:

> Thanks for interesting commentary on Jed and writing.

<grin> After ten years of use, it's like having a best friend sitting in
my office.

> I'm curious.  What formats do you deliver for publishing.  Plain
> text?  Or, do you translate it into something like LaTeX or PDF or
> something?  And, if so, how?

Most of my material for potential publication usually goes to my agent in
Seattle, who I recently converted from a 100% Microsoft office to Mandrake
Linux workstations and a Linux server. Since I send the vast majority of
stuff for consideration by e-mail, and since I write 100% of my e-mail in
Jed, that part is easy. My agent now uses Jed, thanks to the fact it has a
thesaurus. Boy, was HE surprised! 8-)

However, when I need to fancy printing of fonts or other
graphically-enhanced material for client reports and such, I typically
import a document from Jed's ASCII text to Open Office. From there it
either can be saved as a 100% Microsoft Word-compatible .DOC file, regular
HTML or a PDF. I haven't tried docutils yet, but I certainly will give it
a look over the weekend.

> And, I agree.  As a writer's tool, Jed is great.

It is even greater, now that I have a functional thesaurus at my
fingertips. I cannot remember how long it has been since I last copied my
.jedrc for so many people as I have since I got the thesaurus function
working.

If I may be redundant in this, my utter, complete thanks to everyone who
helped get the thesaurus working in Jed. It is a powerful combination,
indeed!

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random fortune For the Minute from Unix fortunes:
MIND is the Pizza Palace of th' SOUL