Re: [jed-users] Re: VT100 compatible terminal emulator?

Start by adding +t near the end of your command line.

Visit DECUS and create an account on Eisner so you have an actual OpenVMS system to connect with.

Once you log in  SHOW TERM

If VMS doesn't show you as a VT102 that is your problem. Despite what you want to believe, one of your tweaks has xterm in Tektronix or some other non-VT102 mode.

====

Install Oracle Virtualbox on some higher end platform

Create a shiny new Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM and apply all updates

DO NOT TRANSFER ANY OF YOUR CONFIGURATIONS OR PRECIOUS FILES!

Install xterm.

create ~/bin

create a DEC-U-SERV executable file using the xterm script I pasted here earlier, but your own username.

from the command line type DEC-U-SERV and log in.

I bet you have all of the menus.

Transfer the files you absolutely have to have from your current Ubuntu 18.04 installation.

DO NOT TRANSFER ANY OF YOUR CONFIGURATION FILES/SETTINGS/PREFERENCES

Carry on.

On 7/27/21 6:05 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
On Mon 2021-07-26 (11:38), Roland Hughes wrote:

The menu with fonts is now tied to Ctrl<Btn2Down> using the dec-u-serve
script I posted earlier. By button 2 I mean the far right mouse button.
Some time ago it worked for me this way too.
But I probably misconfigured something, because there is no more
action on Ctrl-Mousebutton.
I have spent several hours in debugging but I cannot find what went wrong.
Therefore I am looking for Plan B: another terminal emulator.
You didn't do this did you?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/271697/i3-xterm-menu-ctrlmouse-too-small
The problem is, that there are NO popup-menus at all in xterm any more,
not only too small ones.

https://blog.hanschen.org/2009/10/13/mouse-shortcuts-with-xbindkeys/
I am using already xbindkeys, but I want xterm specific actions!
With xbindkeys I can only start other programs.

https://www.computerhope.com/unix/uxterm.htm

change your +tb xterm option to -tb so you get the toolbar which will
have the menu options.
This works only with very new xterms versions, not with the one delivered
by Ubuntu.
But I can compile and install a newer xterm version.

The *vtMenu* sets various modes in the VT102 emulation, and is popped up
when the CONTROL key and pointer button two are pressed in the VT102 window.

You aren't in VT102 mode anymore. You have a -t instead of a +t on your
command line options.
No, I do not use -t or +t

Either that or you have TERM and TERMCAP
environment variables set so that you are either in VT220 or some
Tektronix mode. The vtMenu will not come up if you are not in VT102 mode.
I do not have *any* xterm popup (any more)!
No mainMenu, vtMenu, fontMenu, tekMenu

As I wrote: I surely have misconfigured something... but where and what
and how can I debug it?

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions