[jed-users] Re: VT100 compatible terminal emulator?

On Tue 2021-07-27 (06:53), Roland Hughes wrote:

> Visit DECUS and create an account on Eisner so you have an actual
> OpenVMS system to connect with.

DECUS is still alive?! Interesting news! I have to check it later :-)

> If VMS doesn't show you as a VT102 that is your problem. Despite what
> you want to believe, one of your tweaks has xterm in Tektronix or some
> other non-VT102 mode.

In any case, there should still be the xterm main menu on Ctrl-Mousebutton1

> Install Oracle Virtualbox on some higher end platform
>
> Create a shiny new Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM and apply all updates
>
> DO NOT TRANSFER ANY OF YOUR CONFIGURATIONS OR PRECIOUS FILES!
>
> Install xterm.
>
> create ~/bin
>
> create a DEC-U-SERV executable file using the xterm script I pasted here
> earlier, but your own username.
>
> from the command line type DEC-U-SERV and log in.
>
> I bet you have all of the menus.

It is just simpler:

When I create a test user on my Xubuntu 18, this user has a xterm with
normal popup menus. Same binary of course.

I KNOW that there is a bug in my user configuration but where and what? I
cannot delete all of my config files, there are hundreds of hours of work
in them!

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK