Re: Proposed new addition to Jed...

On 18.01.06, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:
> John E. Davis <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Morten Bo Johansen <mbj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >However, you can not cheat the read_with_completion () function to skip
> > >the minibuffer prompt and just pop up the completions window, can you?
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean.  Do you mean this?
> >
> > define read_with_completion_show_now ()
> > {
> >    variable args = __pop_args (_NARGS);
> >    ungetkey ('\t');
> >    return read_with_completion (__push_args (args));
> > }
> > read_with_completion_show_now ("Larry,Curly,Moe", "Favorite Stooge:",
> > 			       "Larry", "", 's');
>
> Exactly, thanks.
>
> Maybe a candidate for site.sl ..

I'd rather not define a new function for this trick. After all

   ungetkey ('\t');
   str = read_with_completion ("Larry,Curly,Moe", "Favorite Stooge:",
 			       "Larry", "", 's');

is not more complicated than finding out about the _show_now variant.

IMHO, including the example in the online documentation would be the simpler
way.

Guenter

--
Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de