Re: Jed-B0.99-17 and slang-pre2-r1 - some issues

Morten Bo Johansen spake unto us the following wisdom:
> That is you set the locale in the parent terminal and then start xterm
> with the wide font. And indeed this works when I cat the file - the
> demo file displays immaculately with cat, therefore I did not think
> that I had to set the locale once again, but doing certainly solves the
> problem. ;-)
>
> Should Jed not just behave like cat?

No.   Cat  completely  ignores  the locale and simply dumps the file you
specify to stdout (in this case, the terminal).  This _happened_ to work
simply  because  the file was already of the correct encoding.  Jed must
be smarter than this, and pay attention to the locale so that  it  works
both on UTF-8 and non-UTF-8 terminals.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.