Re: Jed-B0.99-17 and slang-pre2-r1 - some issues

Morten Bo Johansen <mojo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>When I use this font, it still does not look quite right. I am
>attaching a very small screenshot with a portion of the screen
>that looks garbled. If I cat the demo file, it looks fine.

What version of xterm are you using?  I am using debian linux (woody)
and invoking xterm through the "uxterm" script.  The screenshot shows
several occurances of [m.  These are most likely associated with
escape sequences, and as such, indicate that the terminal is either
receiving invalid UTF-8 from jed, or has a UTF-8 handling bug.

You also mentioned that you had to change the DISPLAY_EIGHT_BIT.  I do
not understand this at all because jed does not use this variable
UTF-8 mode.  Actually, that is not quite true.  Jed only cares about
the value of this variable when positioning the cursor.  For
characters with codes about 128, jed calls SLwchar_width to determine
the width of a character.

The next slang snapshot, which I intend to release today, does fix a
UTF-8 bug involving the display of double-width characters, e.g.,
Japanese.  But the problems that you have reported are not associated
with double-with characters.