Re: Jed-B0.99-17 and slang-pre2-r1 - some issues

John E. Davis <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What version of xterm are you using?  I am using debian linux (woody)
> and invoking xterm through the "uxterm" script.  The screenshot shows
> several occurances of [m.  These are most likely associated with
> escape sequences, and as such, indicate that the terminal is either
> receiving invalid UTF-8 from jed, or has a UTF-8 handling bug.

I am using XTerm(196).

John E. Davis <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Morten Bo Johansen <mojo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I also noted that you need to set DISPLAY_EIGHT_BIT = 128 in jedrc in
> >order to show any of the UTF-8 characters. Settting it to 160 - as is
> >the recommended value for unix systems - does not work.

> I just did an experiment and was able to reproduce the problem.  I
> think that you are running jed in a UTF-8 enabled terminal but you are
> not setting your locale properly.  This means that jed does not think
> it is running in UTF-8 mode.  What is the value of the
> _slang_utf8_mode variable?  I suspect that it is 0.

I did not see any reference to this variable, did you mean
Jed_UTF8_Mode? Anyway, it does not matter so much, because you are
right about the locale not being set for the terminal. I followed the
instructions in http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#getxterm
where it says:

  start xterm in a UTF-8 locale and use a font with iso10646-1 encoding,
  for instance with LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8 xterm \
   -fn '-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO10646-1'

That is you set the locale in the parent terminal and then start xterm
with the wide font. And indeed this works when I cat the file - the
demo file displays immaculately with cat, therefore I did not think
that I had to set the locale once again, but doing certainly solves the
problem. ;-)

Should Jed not just behave like cat?

Morten