Jed-B0.99-17 and slang-pre2-r1 - some issues

Hi,

I just installed the new versions, first the slang library and then I built
Jed against it:

   $ jed --version
   jed version: B0.99.17-49U/Unix
    Compiled with GNU C 3.3
   S-Lang version: 2.0.0 pre-release candidate 1: Nov 25 2004

   jed compile-time options:
    +LINE_ATTRIBUTES +BUFFER_LOCAL_VARS +SAVE_NARROW +TTY_MENUS
    +EMACS_LOCKING +MULTICLICK +SUBPROCESSES +DFA_SYNTAX +ABBREVS
    +COLOR_COLUMNS +LINE_MARKS +GPM_MOUSE +IMPORT

I am seeing some problems:

1) Handling of the extended ascii characters such as for instance
   0xE6 and 0xD8 do not seem to work anymore from Xjed; if I enter these
   characters in XJed they show fine but if I refresh the desktop they
   show up as a '?'. They work ok in jed.

2) fsearch_char ('extended ascii character') produces an "unable to parse
   character" error in Jed. The character is entered as is and not as an
   octal but it used to work in 99.17 and slang 1.4.9. Using the octal
   value is ok.

3) DFA syntax highligting in my po_mode is totally broken ;) All colors are
   gone except magenta and grey and these colors are not used in the
   places they were meant to be. I did remove the old DFA table first, but
   jed/xjed do not even create a new one, so something has changed in this
   respect, but I do not see any documentation for it.

4) Maybe I should go somewhere else with this, but generally I
   am having dire problems in getting UTF-8 encoded files to show
   correctly. In a UTF-8 enabled xterm terminal, I can get jed to show
   the example file from the slang source archive partially correctly;
   how much of it being shown correctly is highly dependent of which of the
   *.10646 fonts that are used. I am doing this:

   $ export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (locale is installed of course)
   $ xterm -u8 -fn '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1'

   With these settings I can see most of the UTF-8-demo.txt as it was meant
   to be, but not all of it.

   With Xjed, I am at a loss of what to do to enable UTF-8 support.

   What settings are you using for enabling UTF-8 correctly in jed and xjed?

5) I am also getting the "excess junk left on stack" message from .jedrc.

Regards,

Morten