Re: Re: Re: self_insert_cmd + TAB problem

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:55:25 -0500 wrote "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Guenter Milde <G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >The default binding of the TAB key (set in the emulation mode) would be
> >   setkey("TAB_cmd", "^I");
>
> How is this different from the indent_line function?  By instituting a
> policy that modes should not rebind the tab key, but instead provide
> an indent_hook, I think that the result is the same as with your
> TAB_cmd function.

Right. So my feature request for the next release is this change of
language-mode-policy (instead of the new variable):

   The default binding of the TAB key (set in the emulation mode) shall be
      setkey("indent_line", "^I");
   and the modes use
      set_buffer_hook ("indent_hook", "the_modes_smart_TAB_function")

Then,
> >if a user decides not to use an "intelligent" TAB key but have it
> >insert "\t" all the time, he/she will simply do what is normal for all keys:
> >   setkey("self_insert_cmd", "^I");
> >and this will work for all modes.

> I think that this and your other points are valid, but I still regard
> them as separate issues.

Exactly. There is still no execute_hook and no help_for_word hook (and
these are just examples). My mode_cmd.sl, OTHOH, provides an (in-slang)
extensibility and therefore this is a second feature request (maybe for the
next-next release).

> Before I release 0.99-17 I will look at the
> context-sensitive help functions in more detail.

I plan to release my updated version of help.sl to the Modes Repository once
it is somewhat cleaned up, documented and tested.

Guenter

--
G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx