Re: Re: self_insert_cmd + TAB problem

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:12:48 -0500 wrote "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Jason Greene <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Has anyone else noticed that setkey("self_insert_cmd", "^I");
> >no longer works since B99.13? (I highly desire strict tabs)
>
> It still works, except modes will often change the setting of the tab
> to something else.  You can put
>
>     define global_mode_hook (mode_hook)
>     {
>        local_setkey ("self_insert_cmd", "\t");
>     }
>
> in your .jedrc file to get the old behavior.

As this is not really obvious to the new jed user, I'd prefer if the
language modes did not change the setting of "prominent" keys directly. The
mechanism used for ENTER (i.e. the "newline_indent_hook") is a good example
how the problem could be solved.

Besides the possibility of a new "tab" buffer-hook, there is a chance to use
a slang-only solution: "mode-ificable commands" (mode_cmd.sl) the skript
posted some time ago to the list and soon to be found at the jed modes
repository.

Guenter

--
G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx