Re: Re: self_insert_cmd + TAB problem

Guenter Milde <G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>The default binding of the TAB key (set in the emulation mode) would be
>   setkey("TAB_cmd", "^I");

How is this different from the indent_line function?  By instituting a
policy that modes should not rebind the tab key, but instead provide
an indent_hook, I think that the result is the same as with your
TAB_cmd function.

>Now, if a user decides not to use an "intelligent" TAB key but have it
>insert "\t" all the time, he/she will simply do what is normal for all keys:
>
>   setkey("self_insert_cmd", "^I");
>
>and this will work for all modes.

With the policy change (actually currently there is no policy
regarding the tab key binding), the above setkey will work the same
for all modes.

>   E.g.:
>   I use it to bind Alt-Return to an "execute_cmd"
>   which evaluates the buffer or region by calling
>   MODENAME_execute_hook together with
>      define python_execute_hook(){py_exec();}
>      define slang_execute_hook (){evalbuffer ();}
>      define slangcalc_execute_hook(){calc_make_calculation();}
>      define latex_execute_hook(){latex_compose (0);}

I think that this and your other points are valid, but I still regard
them as separate issues.  Before I release 0.99-17 I will look at the
context-sensitive help functions in more detail.