Re: Setting the From: and Reply-to: Headers in Jed

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, John E. Davis wrote:

> Duke <dukeofperl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Luck _is_ what I'll be needing at the rate I'm going. I see where
> > mailedit.sl makes it possible to change the display colors of most of
> > the headers for display, as well as setting a few headers to a default
> > value, like Reply-To:. Thanks for that. I don't see that I can change
> > the From: header though, like I can with emacs. How can mailutils.sl
> > help in this regard?
>
> The From header is header by your mail delivery agent.  Assuming that
> is sendmail or a sendmail clone, you would use the -f sendmail option.
> This can be enabled by putting something like
>
>    variable SendMail_Cmd
>      = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -oem -odb -f foo@xxxxxxx"
>
> in your .jedrc file.  The above assumes that sendmail is in /usr/sbin.

You bet! I thought of that. However, because I had just finished
customizing my emacs From: header variable, I thought that perhaps a
similar one existed for Jed. I've also "masqueraded" my email address
within mutt and Pine.

That said, it would appear that your above solution would be the
easiest.

> > I must say that all these
> >
> > mail_hook
> > mailedit_mode_hook
> > mark_paragraph_hook
> > etc, etc
> >
> > seems a bit convoluted to me.
> >
> > Can this not be simplified, at least a bit, in future incarnations?
>
> I do not see how without limiting flexibility.  For example, what is a
> paragraph?  TeX and LaTex have one notion, email messages have
> another, and so on.

Agreed!  It would be nice to have a "hook Diagram" of which hooks
apply to which blah_mode_hook and so forth. After all, you want folks
to get _hooked_ on Jed, not dismayed or overwhelmed - do you not. At
the moment, I find myself learning and using emacs to learn Jed.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.
--
Duke Normandin
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.