Re: Anything in .jedrc defaces jed

On 6/2/07, Paul Boekholt <p.boekholt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Both JED and emacs can take long to start when they can't figure out
your hostname. See also
http://www.ruptured-duck.com/jed-users-2002/msg00185.html

From /usr/share/emacs/21.4/etc/PROBLEMS:
* Emacs startup on GNU/Linux systems (and possibly other systems) is slow.

This can happen if the system is misconfigured and Emacs can't get the
full qualified domain name, FQDN.  You should have your FQDN in the
/etc/hosts file, something like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost
129.187.137.82  nuc04.t30.physik.tu-muenchen.de nuc04

I guess that when you're on the console, you don't have a network connection?

I have an adsl connection that starts up automatically on boot. But I
do have a problem with having an FQDN. I run dhcp and my IP changes
everytime on a reconnection or boot from the ISP. Secodnly I have some
servers on this machine I use to test and play with the settings, so I
have configured a dyndns.org address pointing to my machine.
Everytime on connection, I run the dyndns update script.

That's all fine. But I do not have an FQDN since the i[ keeps
changing. Even the eth0 IP changes everytime. So I do not know how to
set the FQDN in this case.

Actually I should post this to DU. But thanks a lot atleast I know
what the problem is. Even X becomes slow at times but not always -
this is strange - not always.

Regards,
mowgli