Re: Anything in .jedrc defaces jed

2007/6/2, knowledgeless@xxxxxxxxx <knowledgeless@xxxxxxxxx>:
Also since when I installed Etch. sometimes both emacs and jed take
quite long (about 2 minutes I think) to start). This happened onyl
sometimes before but now it happens always when on console. In X, both
emacs and jed start normally. I wonder if this has to do anything
emacs?

Both JED and emacs can take long to start when they can't figure out
your hostname. See also
http://www.ruptured-duck.com/jed-users-2002/msg00185.html

From /usr/share/emacs/21.4/etc/PROBLEMS:
* Emacs startup on GNU/Linux systems (and possibly other systems) is slow.

This can happen if the system is misconfigured and Emacs can't get the
full qualified domain name, FQDN.  You should have your FQDN in the
/etc/hosts file, something like this:

127.0.0.1	localhost
129.187.137.82	nuc04.t30.physik.tu-muenchen.de	nuc04

I guess that when you're on the console, you don't have a network connection?