brief emulation (was: Newbie question)

On 15.03.06, Marko Mahnic wrote:
> Jan Bakuwel wrote:
> >Hoi Marko,
> >
>  > When I'm using the standard jed key bindings (i.e. no .jedrc file,
> >Emacs?) and press Alt-F, the file menu pops down. When I press F10, the
> >menu activates. When I press Esc-F, the file menu pops down too. So that
> >all seems to work.

As Alt-F and Esc-F are indistinguishable for jed (in standard
configuration), all it sees is the substring "\eF" in its input string.

If you use xjed, you can use x-keydefs.sl
(http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/x-keydefs/) to make the Esc-Key
distinguishable from keys that start with \e. (see the comments in the
file for details).

> >When I use the enhanced BRIEF key bindings, it all changes. I do get
> >some of the BRIEF key bindings (for instance Alt-L to mark a line, but
> >not Alt-B to show the buffers nor Alt-E to edit another file). F10
> >results in a "M-x" prompt. I haven't been able to access any of the menus.

> There was a keybinding in brief.sl that prevented menu access. The reason
> is that when you press Alt-F on jed to access the menu, jed recieves
> a keysequence "Esc f" which is then converted to "Esc m...." to which
> a function to display the menus is bound. Quite complicated...

This could be changed in menus.sl, e.g.

    -unset_setkey ("@\emF", "\ef");
    +unset_setkey ("menu_select_menu(\"Global.&File\")", "\ef");

While the first variant is more concise code, the second does not depend on
the
   unset_setkey ("select_menubar", "\em");
binding.

> The problem is that in BRIEF the combination Alt-M is bound to begin-mark
> function.
> Also all the keys that are used to access the menus are in conflict
> with BRIEF keybindings. You can enable the desired keybindings
> by uncommenting the lines near the end of brief.sl (just delete
> the % at the beginning of line), but you will loose direct menu
> acces.

IMO, brief.sl should ship with the clashing bindings and a
"brief-compatible" binding for select_menubar().

The documentation should advise the users who want to have the "hot-keys" to
add (or uncomment) the line

  enable_menu_keys();

in their jed.rc. (This is what the default jed.rc does.)

                       -----------------------

> (There seems to be a problem with CVS at sourceforge and I cannot commit
> the new version)

The Sourceforge CVS works again.  You will find the current
version of brief.sl under http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/brief/

                       -----------------------

> >The + key on the keypad generates a "+" with both the standard and
> >enhanced BRIEF mode key bindings.

> This is a problem with some terminals. When you press a keypad key
> the terminal just returns what is written on the key ("+") istead
> of a special keycode. So it is impossible to distinguish between
> a normal "+" and a keypad "+".

This depends on the mode the keypad is in (which normally can be toggled
with the NumLock key).

> If you use xterm, I think it should work correctly.

(with NumLock == 0ff).

> I think that x-keydefs prepares an X class terminal to make the
> distinction.

Actually, x-keydefs basically provides names for the numeric keys (in the
form of variables like `Key_KP_Add'.

It does not interact with a terminal. However, with xjed Key_KP_Add and
"+" are discriminated.

However, the brief editor emulation `brief.sl' contains a function to
toggle the keypad state using the intrinsic function tt_send().

Guenter