Re: Newbie question

Jan Bakuwel wrote:
Hoi,

I've seen some confusing posts re the use of the Alt key in Jed on
Linux. I'd very much like to use the Brief keybindings. Some say its not
possible because the terminal doesn't allow the use of the Alt key,
however, it seems to work just fine in Gnome Terminal (with menu access
keys disabled): Alt-F brings up the File menu as expected.

Any ideas?

It seems that the Alt-key combinations work on yor terminal. In jed
the Alt-key combinations are converted into a keysequence beginning
with ESC: when you press Alt-F jed converts that to "Esc f" and
processes it. If you press Esc then f, you achieve the same result.

Before using BRIEF you have to verify if the keys F1-F10 work and
also if the numeric keypad returns any valid keysequences.

You can find an enhanced BRIEF mode at JMR:
  http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/brief/

you will also need x-keydefs:
  http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/x-keydefs/

Backup the file brief.sl before installing the enhanced version.
Please let me know if there are any problems with the enhanced
version.

Marko