Re: Newbie question

Hoi Marko,

I have installed the enhanced BRIEF mode and x-keydefs as per your
previous email. It looks like jed is a really nice editor...!
I'm making progress but not as much as I would have enjoyed... :-/

> It seems that the Alt-key combinations work on yor terminal. In jed
> the Alt-key combinations are converted into a keysequence beginning
> with ESC: when you press Alt-F jed converts that to "Esc f" and
> processes it. If you press Esc then f, you achieve the same result.

When I'm using the standard jed key bindings (ie. no .jedrc file,
Emacs?) and press Alt-F, the file menu pops down. When I press F10, the
menu activates. When I press Esc-F, the file menu pops down too. So that
all seems to work.

When I use the enhanced BRIEF key bindings, it all changes. I do get
some of the BRIEF key bindings (for instance Alt-L to mark a line, but
not Alt-B to show the buffers nor Alt-E to edit another file). F10
results in a "M-x" prompt. I haven't been able to access any of the menus.

The + key on the keypad generates a "+" with both the standard and
enhanced BRIEF mode key bindings.

Any further ideas? I can still remember the BRIEF keybindings after all
those years but have trouble remembering the Emacs or Wordstar
keybindings as they are not always logical...

best regards,
Jan

> Before using BRIEF you have to verify if the keys F1-F10 work and
> also if the numeric keypad returns any valid keysequences.
>
> You can find an enhanced BRIEF mode at JMR:
>   http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/brief/
>
> you will also need x-keydefs:
>   http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/x-keydefs/
>
> Backup the file brief.sl before installing the enhanced version.
> Please let me know if there are any problems with the enhanced
> version.
>
> Marko

'A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.'
-- Bertrand de Jouvenal

----

Ships Unit
Information, Communication, Technology
Greenpeace International
Ottho Heldringstraat 5
1066 AZ  AMSTERDAM
Netherlands (MET)

direct    +31 (0)20 7182084
fax       +31 (0)20 5148151
reception +31 (0)20 5148150
email     jan.bakuwel&int.greenpeace.org
private   jan.bakuwel&hccnet.nl
(replace & by @ in the emailaddress)