Re: Jed and utf-8... a pre-pre-pre-plea :-)

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:32:00AM +0200, Romano Giannetti wrote:

> yes, if test.tex was originally in latin1. I think the problem is if I have
> some
> .tex in latin1, some in latin2, and some in latin9. Maybe we can have a
> "raw8bit" mode that does work as if the locale was not utf-8... but that's
> tricky at least...

As long as you do not change the encoding twice, the harm is not so big: You
see the wrong character on screen but the file will not be changed.

> > Of course one can have a latex_mode_hook that calls
> > set_charset("latin1"), so everything is transparent and fairly automatic.
> Best would be a function that search for "\usepackage[charset]{inputenc}"
> and set the charset appropriately.

You are right (and this can easily be done).

> > > One of the things that I need to think about is an "API" for the
> > > charset-mapping functions.

> When converting from utf-8 to a 8bit charset, rules differs with the charset
> in use. I do not think that you will implement all the conversions, so a
> mechanism (hooks) to add conversion functions from a generic charset and
> utf-8 and back should be implemented.

I wonder whether the recode program/library could be used. It is mature
and comprehensive and exists on Unix, Mac and DOS (don't know about VMS).
It also implements several modi on how to deal with non-transferable
characters.

Also, the recode API could serve as model (in some kind of view, e.g. for
charcode names) and its documentation (info: recode) gives a good
introduction into the charset problematic.

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de