Re: Jed and utf-8... a pre-pre-pre-plea :-)

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:14:27AM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:

> Here is how I plan to handle this situation: If the locale indicates
> UTF-8, then all files read in by jed will be assumed to be unicode.
> However, there will be a mechanism for jed to automatically convert
> iso-* <--> UTF-8 when reading a writing a file.  That is, a file
> explicitely indicated to be using some other character set will be
> converted to UTF-8 when read into jed.  Then when saved, it will be
> converted back to the original character set.  If the locale does not
> indicate UTF-8, then jed and slang will work as they do now with no
> assumptions about a character set.
>
> Of course, several iterations will likely be necessary to get all this
> right.
>
> Does this sound reasonable to you?

Yes. If I had understand well, I can add a comment like
% -*-iso-8859-15-*- (or similar) on a file and have it with that charset
when it hit the disk. That would be ok. Just add a flag/something on a
per-buffer basis that says which kind of charset will be using when writing
the file (and show it in the status bar, and let the user change it on the
fly). The actual contents of the buffer is irrelevant --- probably the only
possible thing to do is to keep it consinstent with the locale, otherwise
you have to invent an input strategy from zero --- a la yudit.

Thank you very much for the answer --- and your time. I will try to help as
much as I can in testing.

    Romano

PS / By the way, yudit way of input is not too bad, but I'm positive it will
be implementable (sp?) in slang 2.

--
Romano Giannetti             -  Univ. Pontificia Comillas (Madrid, Spain)
Electronic Engineer - phone +34 915 422 800 ext 2416  fax +34 915 411 132