Re: Jed and utf-8... a pre-pre-pre-plea :-)

Romano Giannetti <romano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    I was playing with some text editor lately to try to learn to switch to
>    the brand new Unicode world... and I have a little observation to do. I
>    do not know how the slang-2 and jed-unicode is doing, but as a general
>    comment: please do not link it too strictly with LANG settings. I mean,
>    I can have a *.*@utf8 LANG setting, and sometime I will need to edit
>    iso-8859-* files (for example, LaTeX files) and the other way around. I
>    mean, let the encoding be a per-buffer thing... if it's possible at all.

Here is how I plan to handle this situation: If the locale indicates
UTF-8, then all files read in by jed will be assumed to be unicode.
However, there will be a mechanism for jed to automatically convert
iso-* <--> UTF-8 when reading a writing a file.  That is, a file
explicitely indicated to be using some other character set will be
converted to UTF-8 when read into jed.  Then when saved, it will be
converted back to the original character set.  If the locale does not
indicate UTF-8, then jed and slang will work as they do now with no
assumptions about a character set.

Of course, several iterations will likely be necessary to get all this
right.

Does this sound reasonable to you?