Re: Jed and utf-8... a pre-pre-pre-plea :-)

Romano Giannetti <romano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>implement(*)). So the .tex file should stay on disk as a latin-1 (or latin-9,
>whatever) file. But if I am editing it, and type "¡", I imagine that ---
>being the locale utf-8 --- jed would see the string 0xC2 0xA1. And put that
>into the buffer. Now the problem is --- when writing the file to disk, this
>should be written as 0xA1. If I have understood well, this is just the
>designed behavior, so that it's fine --- I think.

Internally, jed will work with UTF-8 encoded text if the locale is
UTF-8.  If the charset associated with the file is not UTF-8, then jed
will perform the appropriate conversions when reading and writing the
file.  It should be transparent to you.

One of the things that I need to think about is an "API" for the
charset-mapping functions.  I mentioned one function, "set_charset",
but perhaps there should be more.  Can you think of other
charset-related functions that may be useful?  "get_charset" comes to
mind.