Re: Jed and utf-8... a pre-pre-pre-plea :-)

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:56:04AM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:
> Internally, jed will work with UTF-8 encoded text if the locale is
> UTF-8.  If the charset associated with the file is not UTF-8, then jed
> will perform the appropriate conversions when reading and writing the
> file.  It should be transparent to you.

If I understood well, doing set_charset("latin1") would also mean that the
buffer is saved in latin1 encoding, i.e. although you change bytes in the
buffer, doing find_file("test.tex"); set_charset("latin1");
save_buffer() will not change the file.

Of course one can then have a latex_mode_hook that calls
set_charset("latin1"), so everything is transparent and fairly automatic.

> One of the things that I need to think about is an "API" for the
> charset-mapping functions.  I mentioned one function, "set_charset",
> but perhaps there should be more.  Can you think of other
> charset-related functions that may be useful?  "get_charset" comes to
> mind.

As well as a Buffers>Character_Set menu entry...

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de