Re: Shift_Tab and X-windows

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:55:18PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> begin  "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I will fix it in the next release.  When I wrote the code, there were
> > no such keysyms below 0xFF00.

Thank you, this will be a great help for me.

> Why does xjed map the key internaly to a key string? Why it can't work
> with the key code and the modifier? Or for what are these keysym mappings?

I believe this is because xjed adds just one more layer to the jed code.

Advantage of this (besides less code/memory use for xjed) is a common
interface for keybinding-customization for jed-console and xjed (and with
keydefs.sl it is even relatively comfortable).

Disadvantage is the restricted subset of key combinations recognized by
(x)jed, especially, with wmark.sl it would be nice to have
<Shift-Ctrl-Up/Down/Right/Left> working, so you could mark regions wordwise.

Also, for the end user setting keystrings with x_set_keysym is not really
straightforward(although documented): you have to find out the keycode, find
out or invent a sensible keystring and bind keysym to keystring and
keystring to action. So there are times I wish xjed had a keybinding
function that takes key descriptions in the custom "x-way" (like <Shift-F2>
or <Alt-Ctrl-Del>) (even mutt has it despite of being non-X).

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de