Re: X selection and KDE

On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:08:35 -0400 John E. Davis wrote:
> Tom Culliton <culliton@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >The problem is definitely NOT slang.  If I run jed in a konsole window I
> >can cut and paste to my hearts content.  It's only when jed is feeding
> >the X clipboard that there seems to be an issue.
>
> When you say "jed", do you mean Xjed or jed running in, e.g., xterm?
> If it is the latter, then keep in mind that ther terminal handles the
> underlying cut/paste protocol.  jed (not Xjed) itself has nothing to
> do with cutting and pasting in X.

Sorry, imprecise language...

Xjed shows the problem with using the mouse to copy from it's window
into various KDE apps.  Copying from other sources into xjed works fine.
Copying from xjed to Xt or GTK apps seems OK too.

Jed (not xjed) running in a seperate terminal window seems OK, clearly
because handling of the mouse events is being done by that terminal
emulator as you said.  Specifically I have tested that it works properly
when jed is run in a KDE konsole window, an rxvt window, an eterm, or an
xterm.

Unless it's actually slang handling the mouse events in xjed, my guess
would be the problem is in the xjed specific code rather than slang as
someone else suggested.  Of course the problem might also be that KDE is
drain bamaged about the clipboard style you are using.

> FWIW, Xjed sends the selected data using the XCompoundTextStyle.
> Perhaps kde apps cannot handle this encoding.  Since I do not use KDE,
> I am not in a position to verify that, nor to develop a work-around.
>
> Finally, what version of X are you using?  For example, version 4.0.2
> added support for UTF-8 <--> Compound Text.

Uhhhhh... Hang on... XFree86 version 4.2.1 is what the start up message
says...

> Thanks,
> --John

You're very welcome, and thank you. ;-)