Re: Emulating?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:02:50 -0500 wrote yeah right <myjunk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I'm pretty new to Jed.  I've spent all of my years programming under
> Windows, so I'm trying to mimic the Visual Studio editor in Jed via a shell,
> not under X.  I've managed to build my own .jedrc file pretty well, but
> there are some things I can't seem to do.  I'd really like to use shift- and
> ctrl- home, end, left arrow, etc... but I'm not sure that is possible under
> VT100.

I suppose you are using jed under the Linux console, right (Things are
different under X with xterm/rxvt/aterm or so)?

Some basic reading is under Help>Browse_Docs>linux-keys.

I fiddeled up a partial solution:

A simple SUID root skript (I call it kjed) loads some key-definitions and
then calls jed:

#!/bin/sh

# start jed at the console, define the shift_arrow keys before
# Attention: changes the keymap for all linux konsoles, so you
# cannot scroll with Shift_up/down while jed is running.
# Needs to run as SUID root, in order to use "loadkeys"
# (security risk to have this as SUID root?)

# load the keymap defining some adiddional keys needed for CUA-like marking
loadkeys modified_special_keys.map
jed

the modified_special_keys.map file is attached.
Drawback: the keymap is changed for all virtual consoles, i.e. scrolling a
console with shift-up or shift-PgUp will no longer work. A more throughout
solution is rather tricky, you can search the mail archive for a suggestion
draft by J E D.

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de