Re: [slang-users] Curious behaviour with SLsmg_set_color and SLsmg_write_string

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:55:44PM +0000, John E. Davis wrote:
> Remko van der Vossen <wich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Judging from the tests with just my test program it would seem to be an
> > issue with mlterm and screen, but I have no such problems with
> > any n(w)curses based programs that are on the same system... I don't
> > know if I have any slang programs that could exhibit the same problems.
>
> I do not think it is a slang problem because when run under screen,
> slang knows nothing about the underlying terminal.  Rather it
> interacts with screen using the escape sequences that are defined in
> the screen-specific terminfo file, which is invariant with respect to
> the terminal that screen is using.
>
> It is also possible that your terminfo file for mlterm is incorrect.
> Does setting your TERM variable to vt00 prior to running screen make a
> difference?  This will cause screen to interact with mlterm as if it
> is a vt100.

I set TERM to vt100, the problem still exists, but is different, i.e. I
get different garbling, the basic problem is still the same though

> Finally, if TERMCAP is defined in your screen environment, then unset
> it. If it is defined in the environment, slang will use it for the
> terminal definition database.

Having TERMCAP set or unset seems to make no difference whatsoever.

I am not sure though that this is not a slang problem. By moving the
cursorline down to a certain point and then up again, I can change the
lines below the cursorline. These changes then stay invariant if I move
the cursorline further up and back down again, until I go over the
changed line with the cursorline. This while I redraw and refresh the
entire window each time.

To me this doesn't look like a terminal problem, but a slang problem.

Regards, Remko van der Vossen.