[jed-users] Re: Double spacing fonts bug in xjed

Itai Arad <ia@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed jed on manjaro linux and I am trying to use
> xjed. However, all the fonts look funny; they appear to occupy
> to places, where the letter is written in one space and the
> other space is empty.
>
> For example, if I write ABC, it will appear there as "A B C"
>
> I tried many different fonts using -fn and -fs --- for example,
> xjed -fn "mono" -fs 11 --- but while the fonts and sizes
> change, I always get the same behavior.
>
> Do you know what could have gone wrong? I compiled it with xft support.

I use Arch Linux and Wayland (xwayland enabled).

  ~/ % xjed --version
  jed version: pre0.99.20-159/Unix
   Compiled with GNU C 12.2
  S-Lang version: pre2.3.3-48

  jed compile-time options:
   +LINE_ATTRIBUTES +BUFFER_LOCAL_VARS +SAVE_NARROW +TTY_MENUS
   +EMACS_LOCKING +MULTICLICK +SUBPROCESSES +DFA_SYNTAX +ABBREVS
   +COLOR_COLUMNS +LINE_MARKS +GPM_MOUSE +IMPORT

I see the same problem as you when starting xjed with the -fn
switch. However, specifying the font in ~/.Xresources works as
expected. I have the following font definition in there:

  UXjed*font: DejaVu Sans Mono
  UXjed.facesize: 14

So, if you don't have to use the -fn switch for some reason,
then just specifiy your font in ~/.Xresources. Remember to run

  xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

after you've modified the file.

Fwiw, I also tried to run xjed with the -fn switch under Xorg
and the problem is the same there. but possibly that could be
explained by some environment variables set by my wayland
session not having been cleared?

  Morten