Re: [jed-users] Updating the buffers

Hi Roland,

Roland Hughes <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here is a stupid question, please don't get offended

No problem, don't worry.

> Why don't you exit Jed on the machine you walk away from and just up arrow
> to launch it again on the same file when you return?

That's what I normally do. But sometimes I simply forget to close it.
And often it annoys me because I change between the machines at least
once or twice an hour.

There are different reasons for it. Sometimes I just want to change
chair and table. Often I walk around while I think about a problem
and when I found the solution I go to the next machine and type it
in without thinking a lot about at which machine I was before. And
sometimes the reason is simply that I need documents which are in
the other room. So, instead of moving them I use the machine in this
room.

I know, these are no strong reasons to do what I do. I could force
myself to work on one machine. But I like it better this way.

> Personally, unless it is a project I don't care about, I don't leave an
> editor up, especially over night. Too easy for something unrelated to go
> wrong and machine causing editor to corrupt open file. Automated backup
> would then back up a corrupted version. If the backup doesn't go back far
> enough in history, you can't get back to an uncorrupted version.

I use rsnapshot for backups and do it on hourly, daily, weekly and
monthly base. The months I do not rotate, so I have at least monthly
time-slices of all of my data all the way back. As rsnapshot makes
hardlinks it doesn't use up a lot of disk space.

> I hope you find a solution. I've already provided my 0.0002 cents.

Thank you!
Martin