Re: jed-pre0.99.19-202 is renitent

On 13.10.09, frank wrote:
> > I suspect that you do not have the proper development libraries
> > installed.  Under debian, that would be done by doing:
> >
> >    apt-get install libslang2-dev slsh

> Indeed, my ubuntu does not have them nor there is any indication in
> INSTALL.unx that they are needed. There is no such indication anywhere.
> And actually, they can be dispensed with:

> (1) Let jed's configure detect the SLang library in /lib.
>     Why should additional libraries be required for this?

No. lib*-dev packages are "developers supplements" that you always need
if you want compile something depending on lib*.

And with libslang2-dev installed, jed's configure will detect the SLang
library.

> (2) Duplicate the essential modules from slsh's lib
>     to jed's lib in the jed package.

No. Did you see the size of slsh? It's really small. And it is (or should
be) recommended by jed.

> Duplicating stuff is not good style? It's not a matter of style,
> it's a matter of convenience.

Duplicating stuff just for you to save installing a recommended package
would mean that the average user (installing the recommended package) ends
up with needless duplications.

> The only module that has to be duplicated seems to be
> require.sl. As an example, there is not one single call from
> the entire jed's lib to functions in structfuns.sl. So in
> order to get that one file of 1303 bytes users have to
> install extra libraries?

slsh was split of to be usable without jed, not vice versa.