Re: Patches

Hallo John,

"John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:39:28 +0000 (UTC), Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> I saw you've took some of my patches. Thanks. But why didn't you took the
>> patch for the info pages? What can I do to make you update the info
>> pages?
>
> The info pages are obsolete and are of historical interest only.

They contain the same information as doc/manual/jed.tex.

> I think that they might do more harm than good if one refers to them.
> For this reason, I would rather remove them.

That's okay, too. And I agree with you that they contain some really
obsolate informations.

>> Author: Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date:   Sun Aug 24 18:34:57 2008 +0200
>>
>>     Use intermediate void* pointer for SLmalloc() return values
>
> I agree with you that SLmalloc should return a void* but that change
> should (and will) be made to the slang API.

Do you plan this for S‐Lang 3?

> In anticipation of that, I would rather change, e.g.,
>
>    foo = (Foo_Type *) SLmalloc (sizeof(Foo_Type));

>    foo = (Foo_Type *) jed_malloc (sizeof (Foo_Type));
>
> where jed_malloc has the prototype
>
>    void *jed_malloc (size_t);
>
> I also think that it is better to keep the typecast from void* to the
> required pointer type.

Yes, that's a much cleaner solution.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Die Erde ist das einzigste Irrenhaus, das von seinen eigenen Insassen
verwaltet wird.