Re: Patches

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:39:28 +0000 (UTC), Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I saw you've took some of my patches. Thanks. But why didn't you took the
> patch for the info pages? What can I do to make you update the info
> pages?

The info pages are obsolete and are of historical interest only.  I
think that they might do more harm than good if one refers to them.
For this reason, I would rather remove them.

[...]
> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-jed/jed.git;a=commitdiff;h=54286e874186dcb2540d43027cd43d4d420e360c
> Author: Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Sun Aug 24 18:34:57 2008 +0200
>
>     Use intermediate void* pointer for SLmalloc() return values

I agree with you that SLmalloc should return a void* but that change
should (and will) be made to the slang API.  In anticipation of that,
I would rather change, e.g.,

   foo = (Foo_Type *) SLmalloc (sizeof(Foo_Type));

   foo = (Foo_Type *) jed_malloc (sizeof (Foo_Type));

where jed_malloc has the prototype

   void *jed_malloc (size_t);

I also think that it is better to keep the typecast from void* to the
required pointer type.