x-keydefs and termcap (was Re: your mail)

On 18.01.06, Paul Boekholt wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:41:07 +0100, "G. Milde" <g.milde@xxxxxx> said:
>
> > You mean the up arrow key sends a ESC [ A but Key_Up is "\eOA"?
>
> > The keys are defined using
>
> > variable Key_Up		= setkey_via_terminfo ("ku", "^[[A");
> get_termcap_string("ku") gives me "\eOA" in screen, but in the vc where I'm
> writing this it says "\e[A".  The Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO says

>   Just changing the cursor application key mode is done by
>
>           % echo -e '\033[?1h'
>   (set) and
>           % echo -e '\033[?1l'
>   (clear).
>
>   When the terminal is in application keypad key mode the keypad keys
>   produce  Esc O y  and otherwise  Esc [ z ~  for certain y and z.
>   Setting application keypad key mode is done by
>
>           % echo -e '\033='
>   and
>           % echo -e '\033>'
>   clears it again.

> If I type
>
> echo -e '\033='
>
> at the prompt in screen

before starting jed?

> the cursor key does send a '\eOA' and cal works as expected.

Could you add this as a configuration option to `screen` so it is done
automatically on startup? (Or does this break other applications?)

You can change the keypad key mode from within Jed with
   tt_send ('\033=');

See

  private define application_keypad_mode (state)

in edt.sl for an example.

(However, I have no idea yet, how you can probe for the correct state but
maybe this is not necessary as the '\e=' is idempotent.)

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de