Re: x-keydefs.sl (was: Re: Any outstanding issues?)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:01:36AM +0100, G. Milde wrote:
> On 16.01.06, John E. Davis wrote:
> >
> > What I do not like about x-keydefs is that it redefines the ESC key
> > when run in Xjed, which could be problematic for those that use
> > bindings where the ESC key is used as a prefix (e.g., emacs and jed
> > bindings).
>
> This redefinition enables the  ESC key to take a keybinding, which is needed
> in brief and cua mode.

[...]

> I added a warning to the documentation section in x-keydefs.sl
>
> If you think there are other uses for x-keydefs where the mandatory re-binding
> is really problematic, a move of the re-defining code to brief.sl and
> possibly cua.sl should be considered.

I vote for

1) leave the redefining code in x-keydefs.sl but let the default be
   "no redefine ESC", provifing a function for redefinition;
2) in cua.sl and brief.sl, call the redefinition.

I use xjed extensively, and Alt modifier is the default modifier to "go to
the window manager" here, so that change would be quite quite noticeable...
I am very used to do ESC % to find-and-replace, ESC w to copy region etc
etc...

Otherwise, please put a big big warning in changelog. Thanks

       Romano

--
Romano Giannetti             -  Univ. Pontificia Comillas (Madrid, Spain)
Electronic Engineer - phone +34 915 422 800 ext 2416  fax +34 915 596 569