Re: x-keydefs.sl (was: Re: Any outstanding issues?)

On 16.01.06, John E. Davis wrote:
> Marko Mahnic <marko.mahnic@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/brief/
> >this could also be added to the default lib, if you agree
> >to also add x-keydefs.
>
> What I do not like about x-keydefs is that it redefines the ESC key
> when run in Xjed, which could be problematic for those that use
> bindings where the ESC key is used as a prefix (e.g., emacs and jed
> bindings).

This redefinition enables the  ESC key to take a keybinding, which is needed
in brief and cua mode.

Bindings using the "\e" prefix are still accessible with Alt-<somekey>.

I have to admit that this mandatory change, while facilitating the
setup of an ESC-key in "cua" or "brief" emulation mode might pose a nuisance
for others.

However, the redefinition can be suppressed by a x_keydefs_hook:

%    define x_keydefs_hook()
%    {
%       % Keep the ESC key to send a single "\e":
%       Key_Escape = "\e";
%    }

> Are these key definitions used only by brief.sl?

* It is required in brief.sl.

* I also use it in my personal gm.sl (replacing `cua_one_press_escape' with a
  simpler and saver "xjed-only" solution).

* I would recommend it for use with cua, where the redefined ESC key
  fits very well.

I added a warning to the documentation section in x-keydefs.sl

If you think there are other uses for x-keydefs where the mandatory re-binding
is really problematic, a move of the re-defining code to brief.sl and
possibly cua.sl should be considered.

Thanks

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de