Re: cua-mode

On 17.01.06, Joachim Schmitz wrote:

> I always wondered what "cua" means, and if I as an old edt-user can
> benefit from it. Any enlightment is welcome ;-)

If I got it right, cua stands for common user application (interface). It is
a keybinding scheme compatible with many Windows applications, but also KDE,
OpenOffice and others (e.g. LyX has an emacs and a cua keybindings file).

If you use not only edt (for which the edt.sl emulation mode might be nice)
but also any of the abovementioned programs, cua might be for you. Have a
glance at the source (cua.sl) or the help (cua.hlp) to see whether the
keybindings look "natural" for you.

Some "vital" keybindings differ between cua and other emulations, notabely the
"Abort char" is Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-G and the "Reserved-Key-Prefix" (used
for mode-specific keybinding with setkey_reserved) is Ctrl-E instead of
Ctrl-D.

Try `jed -n -e` to get a jed in "pure" cua emulation mode (without your
.jedrc) or change your .jedrc|jed.rc to eval cua as emulation mode, so it
gets combined with your customisation (you might have to change some of your
own keybindings to avoid clashes).

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de