Re: recent.sl Was: new development version of jed available

On 28.07.05, Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:12:29AM +0200, G. Milde wrote:
> > On 27.07.05, Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> > >
> > > Except the enhanced version of recent.sl from Jed modes no longer loads.
> >
> > Which version of Jedmode's recent.sl are you using? There where updates
> > recently to make the "jedmodes" SLang2-proof which might solve your
> > problem.

> Yes. I have the above version of recent.sl, specifically recent.sl
> version 3.2.

OK

> But, your comment suggests that I might have other .sl files that
> are out of date.  I have a number of other files that I have
> obtained from jedmodes. I've tried to update them, but I'm
> wondering if I still have something that recent.sl depends on that
> is out of date.

A quick grep on my private library lists

  bufutils.sl
  csvutils.sl
  listing.sl
  recent.sl

as files "made slang-2 proof".

However, this is only the first round of "slang-2 proofing", as
subsequently problems with import and namespaces occured. This second
round comprises

  ch_table.sl
  ding.sl
  filelist.sl
  grep.sl
  help.sl
  listing.sl
  make_ini.sl
  recent.sl
  rst.sl
  tm.sl

The order of evaluating requirements and setting up a namespace needed to
be changed. This change also involved using the _implements() function
new in sl_utils.sl 1.5.

> Or, maybe I have a .slc file that is out of date.

Regarding preparsed files, Jed/SLang is quite intelligent: .slc files are only
used, if they are newer then the corresponding .sl file.

> So, I created a new private jed directory.  I downloaded new
> versions of all the files required by my .jedrc.

Did you take care of "chain dependencies" (a requires b which requires c)?
(The modes home-sites on jedmodes list their dependencies but usually
only one level deep.)

Unfortunately, there is no provision to state the required version of
required modes yet (ideas welcome).

> Now all is well.  recent.sl (the version from jedmodes) is working
> fine with Jed B0.99.17-111 and slang-2.0.4/.
>
> I had to make one change in recent.sl.  I changed:
>
>     _implements("recent");
>
> to:
>
>     implements("recent");
>
> on line 80.  Is that something that should be changed?

With sl_utils.sl >= 1.5, this change should not be necessary (but it
doesnot harm). _implements() was introduced to allow re-evaluation of a
mode defining a namespace while debugging or extending.

This feature is included in the new (slang-2) version of implements(), so
the definition in sl_utils.sl actually is

define _implements(name)
{
#ifexists _slang_utf8_ok
  implements(name);        % SLang 2 has a re-evaluation save implements()
#else
  if (length(where(name == _get_namespaces())) and _debug_info)
    use_namespace(name);
  else
    implements(name);
#endif