Re: new development version of jed available

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:52:23AM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tonight I released a new development snapshot of jed.  Most of changes
> since the last snapshot are bug-fixes, and many of those were
> introduced in the transition to slang-2.  Now that slang-2 is out and
> appears to be stable, I want to devote more time to jed.
>
> As usual, the latest development snapshot may be obtained from
>
>   <ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/jed/v0.99/pre-0.99-17/>

Thanks, John.

I downloaded and built slang-2.0.4.

Then I applied your latest patch file.

Looks good.

Except the enhanced version of recent.sl from Jed modes no longer loads.

When I try to do:

    require("recent");

I see the following error message:

    mode is undefined

recent.sl defined a static variable "mode".  Is there something
different in the way that slang 2.0.4 handles static variables?

I've attached what I find in my *traceback* buffer below.  Is
there any other debugging information that I can produce.

Here is the contents of the *traceback* buffer:

/home/dkuhlman/.jed/recent.sl:80:<top-level>:Undefined Name
Traceback: evalfile
/usr/local/jed/lib/site.sl:1169:require:Undefined Name
  Local variables for require:
    String_Type f = "recent"
    String_Type file = "recent"
/home/dkuhlman/.jedrc:767:<top-level>:Undefined Name
Traceback: evalfile
/usr/local/jed/lib/site.sl:3028:command_line_hook:Undefined Name
  Local variables for command_line_hook:
    Integer_Type n = 1
    Integer_Type i = 1
    String_Type file = ".jedrc"
    Integer_Type depth = 0
    Undefined_Type next_file = Undefined_Type
    Undefined_Type tmp = Undefined_Type
    String_Type init_file = "/home/dkuhlman/.jedrc"
    Undefined_Type next_file_arg = Undefined_Type
***string***:-1:<top-level>:Undefined Name
Traceback: called from eval: .()command_line_hook
Traceback: read_with_completion
/usr/local/jed/lib/site.sl:2295:read_file_from_mini:User Break
/usr/local/jed/lib/site.sl:2369:jed_startup_hook:User Break
  Local variables for jed_startup_hook:
    Undefined_Type n = Undefined_Type
    Undefined_Type hlp = Undefined_Type
    Integer_Type ok = 0
    String_Type file = ""
    String_Type scratch = "*scratch*"

I tried changing the following line in recent.sl:

    provide(mode);

to this:

    provide("recent");

which gets me past that error, although that does not make sense
to me, since the variable mode has the value "recent".  Does
"provide" require a string constant and not a variable?

But, then I get errors related to an autoload-ed function
push_defaults and this error message:

    push_defaults already has static or private linkage in this unit

Did something change about autoload?

Is anyone else having trouble with recent.sl with the new
development version?  Or, is there something wrong with the way
I've built and installed Jed?

Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman