Re: When a new version of JED will be released?

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:12:06AM +0100, SANGOI DINO wrote:
> So some simple (but yet unwritten) slang code is needed to glue the things
> together. We need two "Begin region" functions (and menu entries), one for
> standard regions and another for rectangular ones. and a couple of funtions
> for cut/paste ecc that test (using mark_is_rect) what kind of mark is
> active, and call the right function (i.e. for "kill" if calls "kill_region"
> or "kill_rect").
>
> This can be done also with C code inside JED, but this way people (or
> emulation modes) that like more the old "single selection" are not forced to
> change style.

The problem is that Emacs does not have rectangular visual selection,
though it has the same rectangle commands as JED.  In fact when I start
a selection with C-SPACE in Emacs, the region is not highlighted, unless
I turn transient-mark-mode on:

  In Transient Mark mode, when the mark is active, the region is highlighted.

  Many commands change their behavior when Transient Mark mode is in effect
  and the mark is active, by acting on the region instead of their usual
  default part of the buffer's text.

It seems that in JED's Emacs emulation, transient-mark-mode is always
on.  This is great for selecting text, but if you want to push a mark
to jump back later with C-x C-x (or also with C-u C-SPACE in Emacs)
it's not so great.

I hate to drag, but the Emacs manual has this to say:

  Emacs can highlight the current region, using X Windows.  But
  normally it does not.  Why not?

  Highlighting the region doesn't work well ordinarily in Emacs,
  because once you have set a mark, there is _always_ a region (in that
  buffer).  And highlighting the region all the time would be a nuisance.

  You can turn on region highlighting by enabling Transient Mark mode.
  This is a more rigid mode of operation in which the region "lasts"
  only temporarily, so you must set up a region for each command that
  uses one.  In Transient Mark mode, most of the time there is no
  region; therefore, highlighting the region when it exists is
  convenient.