RE: When a new version of JED will be released?

Yes, right now JED doesn't support rectangular selection. The good news are
that JED already has all the logic needed for visible rectangular selections
(As it can do column marks).

Some time ago I wrote a patch for this. I took a 'minimalistic' aproach:
there is only a new jed function (set_mark_rect_cmd) to define a rectangular
selection, and a new intrinsic function (mark_is_rect) to test if the
current region is rectangular.
Beside the graphic appareance, rectangular and standard selections are the
same. So you can do a standard selection and call the rectangle operations
(kill_rect, ecc) just like before, or make a rectangular selection and
handle it with standard cut&paste functions.

So some simple (but yet unwritten) slang code is needed to glue the things
together. We need two "Begin region" functions (and menu entries), one for
standard regions and another for rectangular ones. and a couple of funtions
for cut/paste ecc that test (using mark_is_rect) what kind of mark is
active, and call the right function (i.e. for "kill" if calls "kill_region"
or "kill_rect").

This can be done also with C code inside JED, but this way people (or
emulation modes) that like more the old "single selection" are not forced to
change style.

Patch againt jed-B0.99-17 attached.

> >As you see I have many ideas and I might also have some spare
> >time to implement them. I hope you won't mind a question now
> >and then.
>
> No problem.  It sounds like you will be a tester of slang on windows,
> which is good news.

Well, sadly I'm now working on Windows, so I'm using a lot both wjed and jed
under cygwin. So I can also test new versions.

Later,
						Dino