Re: [: JMR problem]

Good morning, all...

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 5:02 am, Günter Milde wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 04:43:14PM +0100, Guido Gonzato wrote:

> > Günter, I think this could be a nice opportunity to redesign the JMR
> > site - better, to rebuild it from scratch. I am very grateful to
> > Francesc who opened the site and to all contributors, but to be sincere
> > I find that JMR looks ugly and is badly organised.

Well, perhaps not *ugly*. Our country's foreign policy is ugly. Jed's web
site is merely mildly vexing, but survivable. Someone who knows more than I
do could make it better. 8-)

> Theses for a new Jed Modes Repositary
>
> Guenter Milde, 11.11.03
>
>   * minimalistic design:
>     Target audience are jed users, so the design should be functional

We could take this one better, and suggest that the target is also *new* Jed
users, which implies that perhaps they don't know their way around the web
site as well as the Jed-dites. Presently I can find my way around the Jed
site easily, but because, after several years, I am *familiar* with it. No,
Martha, familiarity *does not* breed contempt, despite what is said.

>     As the site grows, categorization beocmes a must

Absolutely.

>   * browser independent:
>     Access with mozilla, dillo, elinks, lynx and wget alike
>     -> no frames, css?

Yes, please, no frames.

[snip]

> Comments, improvements, suggestions welcome

Now that ispell/flyspell is working *really* nicely, I see where RedHat
(ostensibly others, too) are dropping ispell entirely from their
distributions. There is a script provided in current RedHat distributions
which purportedly makes aspell work with programs that call ispell, but I
haven't gotten it working yet. How hard would it be to rewrite flyspell to
where it works with aspell? I don't know, but if we aren't going to follow
that path, someone should probably put the latest archives for ispell
somewhere on the Jed site so that incoming new Jed users can find it.
Finding the dictionaries for ispell recently was a major pain in my anterior
end.

I also would like to volunteer to document the process by which I created a
full-blown really fast word processor with spell-checking, which is how I
wanted to use Jed since 1999, and now it's here. There are still a *lot* of
other things I can do with Jed that I haven't implemented yet, such as
taking the time to figure out F1-F12 keys. Using the PC-compatible
keystrokes for in Linux/unix (home,end,page up,down) wasn't that hard, once
I knew my way around. Then I used the nearly-default cua mode. It works like
the old DOS editor I used years ago, only faster and better. Of course,
there isn't a day that goes by but what I don't *thank* everyone who
contributed to what is now my favorite word processor. It even works in AIX.
<huge grin>

Without being offensive, would anyone be interested in documentation for how
to set up Jed as a good stand-alone word processor?

Dave
- --
Dave Laird (dlaird@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project
Web Page:   http://www.kharma.net updated 10/12/2003

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
The most costly of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably
not true.  It is the chief occupation of mankind.
		-- H.L. Mencken