Re: jed in rxvt

Günter Milde <milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

GM> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 06:28:03PM +0200, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

GM> My problem is that (in xterm, aterm, konsole, as well as on
GM> the console) jed gets the same keystring for Arrow as for
GM> Shift-Arrow, so it does not matter which mode will process
GM> it.

On both the console and under rxvt I get:

    ^[[c for shift-right
    ^[[d for shift-left
    ^[[C for right
    ^[[D for left

this is under screen ($TERM=screen-bce) and outside of screen
($TERM=linux). The $TERM under X is xterm-xfree86. The solution
must be in your terminfo setting? If you like I can send you my
entries but if you're using Debian they ought to be identical.

The reason that shift-arrows-marking worked for me on the console
and not under rxvt was in keydefs.sl. I changed the following two
lines

   variable Key_Shift_Right = setkey_via_terminfo ("%i", "\e[c");
   variable Key_Shift_Left = setkey_via_terminfo ("#4", "\e[d");

   variable Key_Shift_Right = setkey_via_terminfo ("", "^[[c");
   variable Key_Shift_Left = setkey_via_terminfo ("", "^[[d");

and now it works both on the console and under X. Perhaps
the official keydefs.sl should be modified accordingly?

GM> If shift-arrows do fast shifting of windows, how can they
GM> mark text as well?

Reasonable question ;) I was testing outside of screen
actually.

GM> What do you get for Help>Show_Key Shift_Right vs Right, etc?

With the changes above I get "wmark_right" for Key Shift_Right
and "next_char_cmd" for Key_Right, both under X and on the
console (again tested outside of screen, as my screen
keybindings takes precedence).

GM> If you really get different keystrings, screen might be a
GM> long searched solution for jed on the console!

No, you should get the different keystrings regardless.

GM> I use cuamark.sl (from jedmodes.sf.net), but this should not
GM> matter.  More interesting would be your rxvt settings (xterm
GM> and rxvt section in .Xressources) and the outcome of showkey
GM> for shifted and unshifted Arrow keys. (especially for the
GM> console, as it doesnot work for me there...)

The ones that may have relevance are here:

  Rxvt*termName:          xterm-xfree86
  Rxvt*eightBitInput:     false
  Rxvt*eightBitOutput:    true
  Rxvt*metaSendsEscape:   true
  !Rxvt*modifier:          alt
  Rxvt*meta8:             false

According to the rxvt manual page:

  "rxvt recognizes two class names: XTerm and Rxvt"

So it should be "Rxvt" and not "rxvt" and also if you have XTerm
class entries after your Rxvt ones they would override the
latter. Many default .Xressources files have XTerm class entries.

I am by no means an expert in this, but I hope it helps!

I am CC'ing the list as I thought it might have some interest for
others.

Morten