Re: jed in rxvt

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:27:40AM +0200 or thereabouts, Günter Milde wrote:
> Dear jedies,
>
> I wonder if there is some documentation about using jed in a rxvt terminal
> emulator under Linux.
>
> I recently switched from aterm to rxvt and was surprised to see that marking
> text with Shift-Arrow-key works nicely :-)

Me too :-)

> However, as rxvt uses the Alt-Key for itself (in standard configuration), i
> can no longer use the Alt-x (and similar) keybindings. Of course I can do
> ESC x (and similar), but this is one keypress more and I am short of time.

On my Box this is working without problems, you can set the meta key
with the "-mod" option. I my case this would be rxvt -mod mod1.

> Also, Shift-F1 to Shift-F10 will no longer work out of the box (maybe due to
> a wrong TERMINAL setting - what would be the right one)?

I always compile rxvt "--with-term=rxvt", because i found out that all
my console apps are working good with this, but you can also set this
with the "-tn" option of rxvt. I can confirm that in Midnight Commander
the Shift-FN keys are working but i never used them in jed. Is there a
mode in jed that use this combinations? I use the emacs-emulation.

> Any pointers appreciated

I think there is always some kind of voodoo-magic involved how the
terminal keys are working, because on some machines there are working
and on some they don't :-) Just for the record i use Linux Crux-1.0
rxvt 2.7.10 and ncurses 5.3 (the terminfo base for rxvt).

I hope this info can help you at least a little bit.

Ciao Vincenzo
--
http://vico.kleinplanet.de/