Re: Re: about the "Recent Files" feature

Guenter Milde <milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>As you might now, I wrote a new version of recent.sl that is available at
>the JMR witch does:
>
> *  Use a circular array -> no hidden recent buffer
> *  Save to file only at exit -> less writing

  The problem with this is that information will be lost when separate
instances of jed are used.

> *  Save last cursor position when saving a file

  That sounds useful.

> *  Support "restore last session"

  I think that this support belongs in a separate file, e.g.,
  session.sl.

> *  Save/Restore cursor position
> *  allows regexp-match for files not to include:
>    custom variable RECENT_FILES_EXCLUDE (by GM, based on PB)

  That sounds like a useful feature.

> *  if the line we jump to is in a fold, open it
> *  local recent-files enabled (patch by Andree Borrmann)
> *  add path info to the popup menu (idea by Marko Mahnic)
>
>Drawback: recent depends on the auxiliary modes circle.sl and sl_utils.sl
>(also at JMR).

  The advantage of the currently distributed version of recent.sl is
  that it is small and self-contained.  This means that it loads very
  quickly.  There is no point in autoloading it since it is required
  as soon as jed reads a file.

>> I will look into enabling it in the next release.  However, there are
>> two issues that need to be addressed before I can do so:
>>
>>   * At the moment, compiling jed requires slang version 1.3.11 or
>>     greater. However, recent.sl uses functions not available before
>>     1.4.4.
>
>Could you tell which one these are?

   The path_* functions.

>>   * VMS support will need to be added to it.
>
>This is something I cannot do (as I do not have VMS and also no clue how
>this works. Still it should be possible to have recent as a default menu entry
>#ifndef VMS.
>
>> Finally, I would like to change the names of the public variables
>> defined by recent.sl, e.g.,
>>
>>     WANT_RECENT_FILES_LIST  --> recent_files_cache_enable ( 0/1 )
>
>This one is deprecated in my version: If you do not like it, just don't load
>recent.sl. If you would like to exclude a class of files (e.g. temporary

  That is the way it currently works.  However, Guido was arguing that
it should be enabled by default.  Guido, why do you want this to be
automatically loaded?