Re: Re: Re: about the "Recent Files" feature

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:51:23 +0200 (CEST) wrote Guido Gonzato <ggonza@xxxxxx>:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Guenter Milde wrote:
>
> >  *  Use a circular array -> no hidden recent buffer
>
> I don't understand this - what hidden buffer are you referring to?

static variable Recent_Files_Buf = " *recent files*";

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:35:20 -0400 wrote "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Guenter Milde <milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > *  Save to file only at exit -> less writing
>
>   The problem with this is that information will be lost when separate
> instances of jed are used.

This is true (Although it was no problem for me until now.)

  On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:24:31 +0200 wrote Paul Boekholt:
  > Or append the file on exit, on start sort it out.

Would this be an option, or is updating the .jedrecent with every load/save
command better (becouse of instantaneous communication between the jed
instances).

> > *  Support "restore last session"
>
>   I think that this support belongs in a separate file, e.g.,
>   session.sl.

However, it seems sensible to me to use the same database (i.e. the
.jedrecent file) for both tasks. As much of the code is used by both tasks
as well, I vote for one file (otherwise you end up with 3: recent-common,
recent-files-menu and recent-session.)

The restore session feature is settable via a custom variable, i.e. you can
have the recent files menu entry without the restore session feature.
Is there a request for the opposite: restore session but no recent files
popup?

> >Drawback: recent depends on the auxiliary modes circle.sl and sl_utils.sl
> >(also at JMR).
>
>   The advantage of the currently distributed version of recent.sl is
>   that it is small and self-contained.  This means that it loads very
>   quickly.  There is no point in autoloading it since it is required
>   as soon as jed reads a file.

The dependence is due to the use of the features in many modes... making my
version of recent self-contained would mean doubling code in other modes

Actually, sl_utils.sl is a small set of functions that I'd like to see in
site.sl, circle.sl introduces a new Data_Type, that is used in other modes
too, e.g. in navigate.sl (the history-browser) and in the history feature of
hyperhelp and hyperman.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:15:24 +0200 wrote Klaus Schmid <klaus.schmid@xxxxxx>:

> - To shorten startup-time and avoid loading-messages I wrote
> the files-array as a Slang-array into the save-file. This
> avoids loading a buffer, and evalfile can be used instead.

Another option would be to load the .jedrecent file into a string and parse
that.

> - The files-array is identically with the files-array used to
> recall file names at the file-prompt (find_file, write_file, ...).

This could save some memory and coding. However, the goto-last-position
feature is not present there.

Incorporating the recent-files feature into the mini-buffer recall seems a
nice thing, though.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:24:31 +0200 wrote Paul Boekholt <p.boekholt@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:51:23PM +0200, Guido Gonzato wrote:
> > >  *  add path info to the popup menu (idea by Marko Mahnic)
> > no application I'm aware of does this, and I find it obtrusive.
> Sometimes you have files with the same name in different directories, if you
> see just the basename that's not helpful. I tweaked GM's recent to show path
> info when a filename appears twice, I'll send the patch next week.

Also, it is configurable, of course. If you don't like it, set
Recent_Files_Column_Width to 0.

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de